Windows 8 PC settings, is where you set up and customize your Windows 8 to suit your preferences. PC settings enables you to personalize the look of your Windows, manage users, notifications, search, share, general, privacy, devices, wireless, ease of access, sync your settings, home group, and Windows Update.
To access Windows 8 PC settings do the following:
- Hit the Windows key & C key to open the Charms bar. Or hover the mouse in the top-right corner. If you are using a touch screen, swipe your finger from the right edge to the left.
- From the Charms bar, go to ‘Settings’.
- Go to ‘Change PC settings’ link at the bottom.
Once your PC Settings is open, there are a number of Windows 8 PC settings that you can manage.
Lets discuss them one by one
The Personalize settings, lets you change the settings of your Lock screen, Start screen and Account picture.
Lock screen settings, enables you to:
- change the Lock screen wallpaper.
- select apps to display detailed status and notifications on your Lock screen.
Start screen settings, enables you to:
Account picture setting, enables you to set or change your account picture by:
- browsing to an existing image in your computer
- or by taking a picture from your computer’s camera directly.
2. Users Settings
User settings allows you to:
- Add new users and delete existing users.
- Change password
- Create a picture password
- Create a 4 digit PIN for logging in
- Select if you want to use a Microsoft account to log in to your Windows, or to use a local account the.
- Enable PC users to wake your PC and access currently signed-in user without requiring a password. Note: when you make any changes and click the change button, the changes will affect all the users on the PC
Notification settings allows you to:
- Turn notifications on or off
- Choose whether notifications should display on the lock screen or not
- Enable or disable notification sounds.
- Enable or disable notifications for apps such as Calendar, Internet Explorer, Mail, etc..
4. Search Settings
search settings allows you to:
- Choose whether if you want Windows to keep your search history or not
- If history is enabled, you can set Windows to display the apps you search most on the top of your search results.
- Set which apps t use for additional search results.
5. Share Settings
Share settings enable you to:
- Control which apps displays when you click on ‘Share’ from your Charms bar
- Organize the apps in the list based on the frequency of use.
6. General settings
The General settings enables you to manage the following :
- Time zone settings
- Enabling/disabling app switching
- Delete History
- Language settings
- Refresh PC
- Spelling auto correct settings
7. Privacy Settings
Privacy settings enables you to:
- Allow apps to use your name and account picture
- Deny apps from using your name and account picture
- Choose if you want to allow sending URLs for the web content that your apps use.
8. Devices Settings
Devices settings lets you to:
- Manage devices connected to your computer
- Manage devices on the same network.
- Add devices
- Choose if device driver software can be automatically upgraded or downloaded
9. Wireless Settings
Wireless settings allows you to:
- Enable or disable all your wireless communication using Airplane mode
- Enable or disable individual wireless devices such as Wi-Fi, 3G/4G data connection or Bluetooth
10. Ease of Access Settings
Ease of access settings manages the accessibility settings of the following:
- High contrast
- Large text
- Caret browsing
- Notification display time
- Cursor thickness etc
11. Sync your settings
Sync your settings allows you to :
- Manage the choose the settings you want to sync you’re your Microsoft account
- Manage how Windows syncs all the PC settings.
The HomeGroup settings enables you to:
- Join a HomeGroup for sharing documents, music, etc.. with other computers on the same HomeGroup.
- Create your own HomeGroup, and generate a password that you can use to join other computers.
13. Windows Update settings
Windows Update settings enables you to:
- check for important available updates
- install the available updates.
Overall, Windows 8 PC settings provides a large number of customizable settings allowing users to customize their PC to their liking.